Occasionally when using git (particularly with large repositories) you might come across an error that looks a little bit like this:
remote: Counting objects: 506, done.
remote: fatal: Out of memory, malloc failed (tried to allocate 342222798 bytes)
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
fatal: protocol error: bad pack header
I did one of these back in 2009 and after 2 years, I can successfully say I’ve accomplished… some of them. It’s the sort of list I’d make an annual review if they didn’t have to follow fluffy company ideals and goals. Not a new years resolution as such – but technologies and platforms I want to be looking at in the near future. »
My backup strategy for my machines at home can be effectively described as “scatty, but thorough“. Or at least until I actually have a major crash and need to recover that important file that was outside of my normal documents, code repositories, and archived folders. »
Last week, I went to the Google Technology User Group in London, which was all on the subject of Google Wave. Lars and Steph, of Google Wave video, and Google Maps fame gave an excellent talk on Wave, how it was doing, where it was going, and the challenges they’re still facing in getting Wave ready for prime time and a public release. »
This is the first of the embedded Waves using the embed api (email@example.com). If you’re in the Wave, you can add comments to this one and see them both here, and on my blog. This really demonstrates a lot of the appeal of Wave for me. Although it’s a bit chicken-and-egg, as it’s still in a relatively closed beta. »